History of Lysaght



Our firm was founded in 1946 by Frank Lysaght, who started his career in patents and trade marks in Ireland. During the second world war, Frank was posted to Egypt, where he settled to build up his own practice, specialising in the registration formalities of that part of the world. Within a few years his business had grown to include the whole of the Middle East, Africa, the Far East, and the Islands of the Caribbean and Pacific Basin. Mr Lysaght established an efficient system for filing applications with the Registries of many of these countries direct, and some of these links are still in place today - click here to see the list.

The business was subsequently re-located to Jersey, and was acquired by Rein van Dijk in 1968 when Mr Lysaght retired. The firm's field of expertise was extended to continental Europe, Latin America and the French speaking countries of Africa. A direct link was established with OAPI in association with Cabinet Ekeme, based in Yaounde Cameroon, and this forms an important part of our business today. The break-up of the USSR and introduction of a new law in Madagascar in the 1990s provided us with an excellent opportunity to develop our services further, and our firm continues to grow.

On the death of Rein van Dijk in 1990, his daughter Caroline took over the management of the business and became its owner in 1996. Stephen Le Feuvre, Martin Chinnery and Louise Audhlam-Gardiner joined Caroline as co-directors and shareholders in 2004 and took over the business from her at the end of May 2007, when she retired from the Board. Caroline is now retained as a part-time consultant.

In September 2016, Sharon Joynt became a co-director and shareholder of the business.